These are the thoughts of a Texas transplant in West Michigan who makes his living as a newspaper reporter by evening, and a struggling novelist by day.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

emergence # 1

my confining home is now too small for me,
it's time to spread my newly-formed wings,
make my exit from this womb,
no longer able to contain me.

a push and shove, the air now comes through,
cool and sharp through the gap made at the top.

still, smells flood through.
flowers in gentle early bloom,
leaves form slow and cautious,
renewed life once more rises.

the breeze fills me up,
drawing strength from it,
causing further emergence from my home,
now seeming to be my captivity.

the sun, bright and full, floods
my sight, alive and alive, it proves to be.

emerge, emerge, i must.
for this new world seems too good to miss.

ah, one wing out. with another push.
yes, the other, now.

breeze flow through me,
see the yellows, greens and reds,
see them shine, alive.

wings flicker, once, twice, three times.
yes, they flicker.

afloat, above my former cage.
goodbye, i say.
you served me well, gave me life,
yet, now you purpose done,
i must bid you farewell,
cage or home or womb,
for life awaits,
and i await it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home